Friday, June 11, 2010

A Typical Day...

Okay, there is really nothing typical about any day, butI can at least describe what happened today! I wake up at 5:15am and decide I must be crazy. I'm so sore! By 6:45am I'm at work and ready to go! The first thing I do is suit up in my hard hat, gloves and safety glasses. Aaron and I headed out to the site for a meeting with Austin and his team. This is my core unit, we all work together as a team. While talking about the day we do something called "Stretch and Flex". Yep, everyone at Kiewit does stretches in the morning all together. Afterward Austin teaches something called a "Toolbox". It's a small, 10 minute workshop on how to do something at the site. This time it's how to place a straw waddle into place. After Austin teaches we all head out. I get my instructions for the day and start the air quality machines. I take the two monitors back to the office. There I place several phone calls to get quote for new equipment. I realize that I'm missing some measurements to make the place the final orders, so I head back out into the field and meet Aaron. We climb to the top of all the weir tanks and take the measurements. There is a lot of climbing and drawing involved and the sun is particularly hot up here. I'm very glad I have aloe back in the office! It's fun though. Aaron and I spend the time just talking. After taking the measurements I go back to the office and continue placing calls for equipment. I then rush back out into the site and take more air quality measurements. Finally it's time to meet Mom Ebersole for lunch. We had a wonderful, through regrettably short time together. The afternoon followed with meetings, training, air quality tests and the like. When I get home I immediately jump in the shower. I'm so covered in black soot I hardly recognize myself. After the shower is dinner, Stargate Atlantis and bed. Thus, my day. By the way, I've fixed the comments section, so you can now leave comments on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment