Thursday, July 22, 2010

Air Quality Monitors


The devices pictured above have been my constant companions the entirety of my internship. These are the air quality monitors that I carry everywhere! Basically, they measure (you guessed it) the air! The particles in the air to be exact. The blue monitor is called a DustTrak and the yellow monitor is a P.I.D. I walk the entire site three times a day sticking my air monitors in different places and seeing what happens. In the morning its fun. I get to walk the site and say good morning to everyone. Everyone on that site knows who I am and what I'm doing. By the final test though, in the heat of the afternoon, I'm hot and tired and sore from luging the machines around. They get heavy and you have to hold them up at breathing level! Yesterday afternoon Kyle came to find me while I was pumping water out of a weir tank. Kyle and Aaron had set up a meeting for me with the lady in charge of the air monitoring and neglected to tell me. My job was to convince her that since we were no longer digging up contaminated dirt, three times a day was a little much. The guys were hoping for once a week or even once a day. I think they are dreading doing this when I am gone. I managed to convince the lady though, that the air monitoring is no longer necessary. Therefore, we are completely done until phase 2 starts! This is my official goodbye to the air quality monitors!

No comments:

Post a Comment